HECA's Expectations for Our Members
HECA's mission is advancing professionalism in college admissions consulting. While our members receive numerous membership benefits, in turn, to support this mission, HECA also has a number of expectations for our members.
As a HECA member, you'll be expected to:
- Abide by HECA's member Standards and Ethics Statement in your work with students. (Be sure to review these before you begin the membership application, as you will be asked to agree to these Standards on your application).
- Attend HECA's annual conference at least once every four years.
- Network with HECA members at conferences and through the HECA Listserv.
- Mentor individuals who are new to the profession.
- Serve on HECA committees, the Board of Directors, or assist with or present at the annual conference.
- Contribute to the HECA website and member newsletter.
- Show respect for and work cooperatively with high school guidance counselors, college admissions staff, and other educational consultants.
- Demonstrate professionalism at all times and positively promote the public's awareness of educational consulting.
- For professional development, join the National Association for College Admissions Counseling (NACAC) and/or your regional ACAC. Volunteer to serve on committees or the Boards of these organizations, present at their conferences, and/or help at their sponsored college fairs.
If you've reviewed these membership expectations and believe you're eligible for HECA membership, the final step in joining HECA is to apply for HECA membership.