The Higher Education Consultations Association (HECA) is the only professional association devoted exclusively to the independent college admissions consulting profession.
To be eligible for HECA membership, prospective members must hold a Bachelor's degree or higher, demonstrate recent experience assisting students with college planning, and make a commitment to upholding HECA's high professional standards.
HECA's 600-plus member educational consultants:
- Assist over 12,000 high school seniors with college planning each year.
- Advise families in every region of the United States as well as many other countries.
- Are experienced professionals. Eighty-eight percent of HECA members have been independent educational consultants for two years or longer; 52% have more than five years of educational consulting experience.
- Actively seek reliable information on colleges. Eighty-two percent of our members report that they've visited 11 or more college campuses in the past year; 55% have visited 26 or more campuses in the past year.
- Are highly educated. Seventy-three percent of our members hold a Master's degree or higher, and 41% have completed or are in the process of completing a post-bachelor's certificate in college admissions counseling.
- Committed to professional standards and ethical behavior. As a requirement of membership, all HECA members must agree to abide by HECA's Standards and Ethics for Educational Consultants.